Sunday, April 26, 2020

Macaroni for breakfast - and everything else homeschool!

I grew up with my mom as a teacher, and when I found out I would be homeschooling the twins for a while due to COVID-19, I had visions of nicely organized days and beaming students. Needless to say, taking two six-year-olds out of their routines and away from their TRAINED teachers as well as occupational therapy, speech, special ed, etc.  - we've had our ups and downs. We've had days when my one who is a sensory seeker is literally jumping on the couch (no, that's not allowed, but yes, it happens) and days where my little one who has ADHD spreads out reading one simple kindergarten story over an hour and a half because after every two words, he dramatically throws his arms out to the side declaring, "This is so hard! Why do I have to do this?" And yes, I fully understand that this is not unique to preemie and/or special needs parents - we're all doing our best out there in this new (for most of us) world of home school. Sometimes I have it together and sometimes, one of the kids wants macaroni and cheese for breakfast and I'm like, "you know what? Sure, let's go with that." 



I had expressed some concerns (okay, I probably sent a fairly desperate email) to Gavin's teacher and special ed teacher regarding the lack of focus and major distractability. None of this is new, but I wasn't sure how much being out of his normal setting was throwing him off - or was he seriously wandering all over the classroom at school, too? Turns out, yep, pretty much. I had a virtual call with everyone on his team and while they can't give me this suggestion, when I mentioned discussing medication with his pediatrician, they seemed very encouraging. 

So that's where we are. The call to the pediatrician goes in Monday and we get the paperwork for me and his teacher to fill out. 

I remember in the NICU - when being presented with so many scenarios - cerebral palsy, wheelchairs, blindness, deafness, possibly never living on their own - when things like "learning disabilities" comes up, I blew it off completely. I could deal with that later - lots of people deal with that. But now that it's reality - yeah, it's for REAL. Mad respect for all you parents who have been working with this for a while, and I'll take any suggestions you have!



Meanwhile, we've been really enjoying all this extra time together, and Hannah is about to lose her FIRST TOOTH any day!



No comments:

Post a Comment